Why become an iba member?
Membership in the IBA pays off for bear researchers, managers, and conservationists alike. The IBA offers connectivity with peers, professional meetings, publications, and updated information and news pertaining to bears and bear projects worldwide.
Membership entitles you to receive International Bear News, IBA’s quarterly newsletter, and the journal Ursus. Ursus is a peer-reviewed journal that is published twice a year. It is the most comprehensive publication dedicated specifically to bear research and management, and is now also available online to subscribers of BioOne. Other membership benefits include some discounts during our international conferences, and voting privileges. Soon, IBA members will be given access to online discussion forums on bear-related topics.
Standard and Low-cost Memberships may be gifted to another member.
Gift Memberships must be conducted as a separate transaction for each individual.
For further information on purchasing a gift membership, please contact the secretary at:
Additional Information on Benefits
A subscription to Ursus:
- Many articles present results of applied research on bear biology and management.
- Printed copies are published twice a year.
A subscription to International Bear News (IBN):
- A diverse collection of reports from the field, regarding on-going bear research, management, and conservation.
- A list of recent bear-related publications, including internal agency literature.
- Notifications about upcoming bear conferences, meetings, and other events.
- Reviews of books, articles pertinent to bears in history and culture, a Student Forum, and announcements of bear-related employment opportunities.
Other Membership Advantages:
- Access to a network of like-minded professionals, helping managers stay abreast of techniques that have been successfully implemented to manage bears and people.
- Access to the online IBA Member Discussion Forum.
- A vote in IBA elections and on IBA resolutions. IBA is the preeminent organization dedicated to science-based bear conservation and management, and membership can increase your professional connections, opportunities and credibility.
Additional Plans that will Benefit Managers:
- Access to an online library of workshop and conference presentations so members can view topics based on their interests.
- Opportunity to apply for grants (over $100,000 given out each year) for research in bear biology, management practices, and conservation, and for collaborative work-exchanges between projects.
- The IBA is committed to providing a balance of research and management for bear researchers and managers worldwide.
Other Ways to Join
The IBA makes every effort to keep your payment options easy and safe! We strongly suggest applications and payments be submitted online, but we do also accept applications and payment via snail mail. Please follow the instructions below:
- Simply download and fill out the PDF form below.
- We accept Visa, Mastercard, agency purchase orders, and checks. International money orders are welcome.
- Send to: Jennifer Fortin-Noreus, University Hall, Room 309, Missoula, MT 59812, USA
- Please do not send this PDF form electronically, which may contain sensitive information.